The following are general guidelines to be applied when considering a new application for addition to the current list of Grantees and/or for a special one-time grant.
- The Foundation will provide financial assistance to approved applicants:
- who are 60 years of age or over;
- who have an annual income of $21,500 or less;
- who, due to age or infirmity, are unable to earn an adequate income and are in extreme financial distress;
- who are Canadian and living in Canada; and
- who are published and have made a significant contribution to Canadian writing.
- Applicants will be requested to complete and submit an application form providing basic information on their financial and health status, as well as their biographical profile for Board review. Updates of this information will be required annually for re-evaluation of continued eligibility.
- The committee assesses the published works of each writer who applies to the Foundation and determines, according to the Foundationís criteria, the significance of their contribution to the Canadian literary world. Each applicant is reviewed in the light of his or her unique career profile.
- Applications will be approved, and grants authorized, by the Board of Directors.
- The Chairman and the Board may ask local Directors to establish and verify the financial and health circumstances of applicants.
- Foundation assistance may be modified or terminated at the discretion of the Board of Directors.